Wednesday 17 June 2009

Transfer Speculation

Glen Johnson
Speaking of the deal, the Telegraph says: “two Liverpool bids, in the region of £12 million, were turned down by Portsmouth last summer and in January but Benitez is confident a £10 million fee paid over two years, plus an agreement to write off the £7 million the south coast club still owe for Peter Crouch, will be enough to land the former Chelsea player.” The Independent also says the deal will make Johnson “one of the club's highest earners” with his “substantial wage, thought to be £80,000-a-week net of tax.” Today’s Echo says “the deal is likely to be held up because the player is on holiday.” And “Johnson only recently started his summer break following his exertions for England in the World Cup qualifiers and Pompey chief executive Peter Storrie is currently in Israel for talks with club owner Sacha Gaydamak.”

David Villa
The Guardian’s ‘Rumour Mill’ section says: “David Villa has told 'close friends' that he only wants to play for Rafael Benítez in the Premier League.” Sky Sports is also running an interview the player gave to the press following the game in Bloemfontein. He was unwilling to divulge the name of the club, but said the following: “I have made my decision. My agent knows my wishes, and he is now working on that - so I am relaxed. There is no deadline on the subject, and I really do not have any more details as this whole thing is not totally dependent on me."

Ryan Babel
Also in the Guardian: Frank Rijkaard, the new coach of the Turkish side Galatasaray, “has approached Liverpool about signing Ryan Babel. The Dutch international was a peripheral figure at Anfield last season and is likely to be sold should Liverpool receive a significant bid for a player bought for £11m from Ajax in 2007.”

Pepe Reina
The Independent claims: “Barcelona are set to launch a bid for Liverpool keeper Pepe Reina according to various reports.” Contract talks with current number one Victor Valdes have apparently broken down according to the article and Valdes “has a year left on his contract, has been pushing for parity with Xavi, who is paid £150,000 a week.” Barcelona are refusing to go that high and have been considering their options, and believe a bid of £17m for Reina “would test Liverpool's resolve, especially considering the financial difficulties the Anfield club are currently in.”

The article also suggests Liverpool may also face a battle to keep midfielder Javier Mascherano. This is of course old news, so I’m not sure how much weight the Reina story carries, considering the papers source is: “various reports”. I could speak to ‘The Main (Stand) Man’ and next doors cat about a transfer then claim the same thing.

Andrea Dossena
The Telegraph says “Benitez may sacrifice two full-backs to ensure he has the funds to bolster his attack, with Andrea Dossena edging closer to a £6 million move to Juventus.” However, the Mail is running an interview with Dossena's agent Roberto La Florio, who said: “At the moment, there are no updates. The Bianconeri club (Juventus) have yet to decide whether to consider my client or (Lyon's) Fabio Grosso. If they decide to target my client then we would evaluate the offer. He (Dossena) is happy at Liverpool but Juventus is Juventus, and he's a little nostalgic for Italy.”

Alvaro Arbeloa
The Telegraph also states Arbeloa “could also be sold, with the Liverpool manager braced for an £8 million approach from Real Madrid once Spain's involvement in the Confederations Cup ends. Arbeloa has just 12 months left on his contract and, while Benitez had suggested he would be offered a new deal, his failure to sign one indicates his time on Merseyside is drawing to a close.”
The story is also reported by Sky Sports, which has an interview the player made to Spanish newspaper ‘Elmundo’: "I am happy at Liverpool, but I have something to prove in Spain as I did not show my best form in La Liga. One day, I'm sure I will return. It is always nice to be linked to big teams - even to this Madrid side in a time of transition. They are working hard to build a great team. I have one more year remaining on my Liverpool deal, but anything can happen. A contract renewal is in the air. I am contracted for one more year, but if Liverpool get an offer they will consider it. It is all in the hands of my agent."

3 comments:

  1. The Main (Stand) Man18 June 2009 at 00:07

    I know we've had the conversation about Mascherano so you know my thoughts but I asked the cat to comment and all he said was "Me? How?".
    My thoughts overall, bin the Johnson deal off, keep Arbeloa and spend some time sorting out some striking options in case Fernando ruptures something else in the Confederations Cup. e.g. Get Villa and/or Silva. Now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My personal suspicions are that Arbeloa wants to leave. Rumours have plagued his desire to leave since last summer with the explanation he has not been able to settle in the city. I’d Love for him to stay as he had his best season yet and can only get better. However maybe the tensions between Carragher and Arbeloa have been simmering for some time and this explosively was revealed for the fans to see. This is just my personal thoughts and maybe I’m reading too much into it. I think Johnson is young, English and can develop into a decent player given time. We were always lacking cover in this position and now when we get cover we may lose a man. Think we need a decent winger and striker, and yes your right Silva and Villa would be the dream signings.

    Oh ye, the cat’s not revealing how much he really knows, he’s definitely hiding something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adding weight to the argument he wants to leave. Todays Telegraph has a quote from Arbeloa saying "Certainly, I will go back one day because, outside of football, I miss everything I have in my country."

    ReplyDelete