Tuesday 16 June 2009

Gerrard says he may retire at 33

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has admitted he may retire when his current contract with the Reds runs out in 2013. Speaking to the official site, the player also declared that Liverpool are close to winning the Premier League:

"I believe the experience of defeat that we felt last season will be useful to us next term. The team has greatly improved over the last year or so. Today we are much closer to winning the title than we have been in the past."

Gerrard who was named the Football Writers' Association Footballer of the Year, agreed a two-year extension to his contract in April. "I will be 33 at the end of my contract in 2013 and I don't know if I will go any further. If I do retire, then I will know that from the start to the end of my career I only had one club. And I don't want to think about wearing any other shirt in the future."

The former Juventus and Real Madrid marvel Zinedine Zidane hailed the Liverpool midfielder as the 'best player the world' earlier this year and Gerrard confessed he was honoured to receive such high praise: "Zidane is special to me, I was very flattered to hear his compliments about me. He is one of my heroes. When I met him I was like a fan. I did everything I could to shake his hand."

No comments:

Post a Comment