Saturday 13 June 2009

Portsmouth chairman admits Johnson deal imminent

Transfer Speculation

Portsmouth executive chairman Peter Storrie has revealed the club have received a bid for Glen Johnson and that a deal could be concluded imminently. Liverpool are thought to be the front-runners for his signature. Johnson has established himself as Fabio Capello's first choice at right-back and has enjoyed his best season for Portsmouth. Speaking to Sky Sports News, Storrie said:

"Glen has had a fantastic season for us and I think he is the best right-back in the country at the moment. I've know Glen a long while, from my West Ham days. When I re-signed him (at Portsmouth) we talked things over. He said, 'If one of the big four come in with Champions League football, would you stand in my way?' I told him I couldn't do that. Providing the deal is right for Portsmouth and Glen then we will look to try and do something in the right way. It is very hard to try and hold people back when they have a chance to play in the Champions League. I accept that."

When asked if an offer of between £15million and £18million had been tabled, Storrie replied: "You may not be a million miles away from the mark." Storrie went on to concede that a deal could be struck imminently, adding: "I wouldn't think it would be too long."

2 comments:

  1. Hopefully he'll sign us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Main (Stand) Man15 June 2009 at 10:59

    I think £15m+ is overpriced to be honest. Why did Chelsea get rid 2 years ago? Because he wasn't good enough, and even though I'll admit he has developed more quickly at Pompey because of the regularity of his appearances, is he really worth this? Especially when we have a right back in Arbeloa who for me was the most improved player in our squad last season and clearly gained confidence from his involvement in the Spanish national side which won the Euro 2008 championships?

    ReplyDelete