Monday 22 June 2009

Leto linked with Panathinaikos

Transfer Speculation

Liverpool winger Sebastian Leto has revealed he is almost certain to move to Greek club Panathinaikos reports Sky News. The 22-year-old spell at Anfield looks to be at an end “after it was discovered he would have little or no chance of gaining a work permit due to his lack of appearances on Merseyside,” says the story. The Argentine joined the Reds in the summer of 2007 but did not to make a Premier League debut due to problems with his passport, forcing him to play in the reserve team instead. Leto was granted an Italian passport in mid-2007 but this was later revoked, making the Argentine need to apply for a work permit; a request which was later refused. Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez criticised the decision given the player's track record in the Champions League and national selection for the Olympics. Leto spent the entire of last season on loan at Greek side Olympiakos.

"I am very close to Panathinaikos," he said. "There are negotiations between Panathinaikos and Liverpool and as far as I know the two sides are very close to a deal. I think that the possibilities to play at Panathinaikos next season right now are more than 90 per cent. I have been waiting for something from Olympiakos all these weeks but they didn't make a move to buy me so far. It's not a matter of money. I wanted to stay at Olympiakos but since they don't want to sign me I have to think about my future."

No comments:

Post a Comment