Monday 29 June 2009

Alonso talks Real Madrid, Rafa and Liverpool

Xabi Alonso has given an interview in this week’s edition of Spanish magazine ‘Don Balon', which appears to be emerging as a mouth piece for Spanish clubs in pursuit of Liverpool players. It also printed last weeks Javier Mascherano interview. Quotes from the article have been plastered all over the British press today which have reported the interview as: 'Alonso refuses to close door on Real Madrid move.’

Asked if he will soon return to Spain to play, Alonso said:
“I don't close any door in that area, so we'll see what happens.”

The player speaks about last summers troubles in which he was almost sold to Juventus and the current supposed interest from Real:

“Last year I was close to joining Juventus. I do not have a defined career plan. It's always good that several clubs want you, it's better than nobody wanting you, but I can't do too much about it. I know that I have to do my work well and, in the future, I'll decide what I have to decide.”

He is then asked about being linked with other teams and he says:
“The truth is that it is not a situation”

Asked if his would be an 'impossible marriage' to Real Madrid, Alonso says: “No, it does not have to be so impossible.”

The Spanish midfielder also reveals his relationship with the manager:
“My relationship with Benitez is professional, like he has with any other player,

'In my opinion, the team has progressed, but in the end we did not win any titles, so we cannot be happy or satisfied,' he said. No doubt that in the Premier League, we were closer than in other seasons, and in the Champions League we got to the quarter-finals. But what everyone wants is to win titles.'

'I've already been in England five years and the truth is that I have adapted well,' he said. 'I'm happy there, though from the beginning I have longed for certain things, and I continue to do so.'
He is then asked again about all the rumours of transfers and would it a disappointment to remain in Liverpool? “No, not at all it wouldn’t be a disappointment. I carry on as normal.” There is also the suggestion the player would rather remain quite as his words may be misconstrued by the press, stating: “in the end, you know what is really happening, regardless of what you are commenting.” And that he prefers to “keep pretty quiet.”

Following on from this interview, tonight’s Echo reports that “Rafa Benitez will stage clear the air talks with Xabi Alonso this week.”

Following on from international duty, the story says: "Alonso did not give assurances about his future after the Confederations Cup third/fourth place play-off. Asked whether his immediate future lay with Liverpool or Madrid, he said: “That I cannot answer.”

“Benitez does not want to lose either Alonso or Javier Mascherano” says the article, “but if Alonso is keen for a Bernabeu switch – as the Spanish press are reporting – he wants the player to publicly come out and state his intentions.”

The story also states Rafa “has reluctantly accepted there is little he can do to keep hold of a player who is adamant he wants a move,” however speaking about Alonso and Mascherano, the report says: “he will not let both leave Anfield.”

No comments:

Post a Comment