Thursday 16 July 2009

Johnson says putting on Liverpool shirt 'lived up to expectations'

Liverpool’s latest signing Glen Johnson has revealed his pride in putting the Liverpool shirt on for the first time in last night’s pre season friendly against St.Gallen. Reported in todays Echo, the Liverpool defender said:

“Pulling that shirt on for the first time definitely lived up to my expectations.”

“I know it was only a friendly game but it was my chance to finally get that shirt on my back so I’m really pleased about that.”

“But obviously the big thing for me now is the thought of playing for Liverpool at Anfield – I can’t wait for that.”

“The lads have been brilliant to me since I got here. It isn’t easy when you move to a new club and when I first arrived I think there were about 50 professionals there. Obviously it’s hard to remember all of their names straight away but the lads have been fantastic from the start. It’s nice when you know a couple before you start, as was the case for me. But, like I said, absolutely everyone has been great to me.”

Manager Rafa Benitez who used Johnson on the left rather then his preferred position on the right said: “Johnson did well. I was using him on the left because he has to think more about his defending there.”

“We know that he is really good going forward and in this game he played well in defence and well in attack so it was good.”

“If he is playing left-back it means he cannot go in attack in the same way because he is not quite as comfortable with his left foot as he is with his right so this means he will think more about defending.”

“The team was good in attack and we created some chances which is always good. I am a little disappointed because we gifted them three chances but then it is pre-season, we have a lot of new players so the understanding is not where it needs to be yet and neither is the fitness.”

No comments:

Post a Comment