Sunday 31 May 2009

Gerrard thinks 2-3 new signings will close the gap at the top

Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard has revealed Liverpool need 2 or 3 new signings over the summer to launch a Premiership winning campaign next season. Speaking to Sky Sports News after receiving the Football Writers’ Association Footballer of the Year award, the midfielder said: "We are very close. I'm sure the manager will want to strengthen the team and the squad a little bit over the summer. I don't think there are many changes that are needed. But we need to freshen up, like all the teams do. I feel as if we can fight for all the big trophies next season. I'm sure he (Benitez) is already working on what part of the team needs strengthening. I think, if you look at Manchester United's squad and Chelsea's squad, you look how strong their benches are and how strong players are that are not even making their eighteens. I think we are just a little bit off that at the moment. Maybe two or three players from having a squad on a level with those two. I feel that is how close we are." He also made a pointed out his belief that Liverpool have not been getting the plaudits they deserve this season "You look at the points tally, we finished the season with 86 points. Usually that is enough to be crowned worthy champions."

No comments:

Post a Comment