Sunday 31 May 2009

Gerrard declares the best is yet to come

Steven Gerrard officially received ‘the Football Writers' Association Footballer of the Year’ award at a gala dinner in London on Friday and declared that his best is still to come. Gerrard, who turns 29 today, talked to the Guardian about his desire to return Liverpool to the summit of English and European football: “The coaches are always driving me on, trying to improve me as a player. I am 29 tomorrow and I still feel I can get better. I am still learning every single day in training, working on parts of my game, am still very hungry and ambitious. There is still a lot to achieve for me personally, for Liverpool and England, so hopefully next year is going to be a lot bigger for me trophy wise."

Gerrard who scored 24 goals this season, 16 of which where in the Premiership was also hailed by the England manager. Paying tribute to the midfielder Fabio Capello said: "Steve, you have played a fantastic season, and scored a lot of goals. Now, please, just two more to help us towards South Africa."

No comments:

Post a Comment