Wednesday 19 August 2009

Reds sign Greek defender Kyrgiakos from AEK Athens

Liverpool have reportedly signed Greek defender Sotiris Kyrgiakos from AEK Athens. The player himself revealed the news via his official website. The statement appears to have been removed since, however it declared:

"I would like to inform the fans of AEK that on Monday night I received an offer from Liverpool, an offer which I have accepted," reports the Guardian.

"I understand this has come at the worst possible time ahead of the crucial games for qualification to the Europa League, but the fact that I will play for Liverpool is like a qualification in itself for me. I have taken my final decision which was accepted by the president and the coach."

"Never in my life have I hidden from the consequences of my choices."

"I said last week that I would be an AEK Athens player for the next four years and I meant what I said at the time."

"Today, however, I had to make the most important decision in my career. Going back on my word was difficult, but this is life, and life can bring about strange things."

Today's Telegraph reports: "The 30 year-old centre-back said farewell to his team-mates ahead of AEK's departure to Romania for the first leg of their Europa League play-off tie against SC Vaslui."

AEK have denied that a deal is complete however: "At this moment there is no final agreement between AEK and Liverpool FC," a club statement said.

Clearly the clubs have yet to agree a satisfactory fee for both parties, but it is understood that a figure in the region of 3 million euros has been tabled.

No comments:

Post a Comment