Sunday 23 August 2009

Benitez re-affirms commitment to Reds

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has reaffirmed his commitment to the Reds in his pre Villa press conference and laughed off suggestions he was about to quit. The confirmation that he intends to see out the remainder of his five year deal at Anfield will have heartened Reds fans and disappointed sections of the press intent on disrupting the Kop clubs' Premiership campaign.

Rumours circulated on Wednesday afternoon that Benitez had walked away from Melwood, following what the press called 'a disagreement' over transfer funds with club hierarchy. Speculation began after a bookmaker suspended betting on Benitez being the first Premiership manager to quit or be sacked.

Broadsheet newspaper the Telegraph should know better, but even they were unable to report upon the rumour correctly. Today's article on the subject declared Rafa had walked out 'AFTER' the victory over Stoke on Wednesday night. This simple error clearly highlights the inaccuracies and blunders the press are happy to peddle un-checked against the club at the present.

But as most Reds who attended Anfield that night will tell you, there was a definite sigh of relief from Kopites when they seen the Spaniard step off the team bus before the game. They also let their feeling about the manager be known loud and clear, as they sang his name throughout the match, starting from the opening minutes.

"I can tell everyone that my commitment to the club is still there," said Benitez to Sky Sports.

"When I signed the new contract it was because of the fans, because of the staff and because of the players."

"I told everyone I will stay - it was my decision. I'm really pleased here and I'd like to stay for the length of my contract. The fans know this so that's the most important thing for me."

"The problem here is that rumours go around very, very quickly. Even people who know me wanted to know what was happening. They all asked: 'Are you going? What happened?' I was even surprised myself."

"We had a situation similar to this one when we played Real Madrid in the Champions League. It was a surprise then, but we won the game."

"This time I got messages when I was preparing for the game against Stoke. They came through on my phone."

"We had a team talk and then came the messages. I had to concentrate, but no-one expected that. I don't know how, but someone started talk about this and the rumour grew."

"I can guarantee, though, nothing affected me as I was preparing for Stoke."

No comments:

Post a Comment