Sunday 20 September 2009

Fury as fans are moved to accommodate UEFA sponsors

"Hundreds of Anfield season ticket holders turned up for the Champions League against Debreceni on Wednesday to find they had been moved to accommodate sponsors’ guests," reports the Mirror.

Liverpool fan Keith Ross, a season ticket holder in the Lower Centenary Stand, said: “I was given a seat in the corner at the Anfield Road end and couldn’t see a thing. Lots of us were moved and we were all unhappy."

“There were a few angry scenes with the stewards.

“It’s the first time I’ve been moved and I had no idea I’d end up there.

“It was a restricted view and just not good enough.

“What made it worse was that there were a lot of empty seats in the corporate area.

“They were obviously more interested in the hospitality than the football.

“I’ve been a season ticket holder for nine years.

“I have two tickets that cost me £1,400-a-season.

“I go to every match home and away and follow the club all around the world.

“If this is what it’s going to be like from now on, I won’t be going to any more home games in the Champions League. In fact, I’m thinking of cancelling my season ticket for next season.”

Liverpool, along with all Champions League clubs, must provide seating and hospitality lounges for sponsors and their guests, however according to this story by Derick Allsop it appears to come at the expense of loyal supporters. The story adds that UEFA's "demands have increased, forcing Liverpool to move 2,000 fans from their regular seats."

A club spokesperson said: “It’s the first time Mr Ross has been allocated another seat because UEFA have extended the number of seats they require this season."

“It’s a requirement of all clubs participating in the Champions League, as set out in the UEFA charter.”

The article adds: "Liverpool officials admit they are unlikely to find a satisfactory solution until they have a new stadium."

No comments:

Post a Comment