Tuesday 22 September 2009

Babel set to figure in Carling Cup clash

Liverpool winger Ryan Babel has amended his thoughts about life at Liverpool and now insists he wishes to fight for his place at Anfield. Babel whilst on international duty three weeks ago, accused manager Rafael Benitez of broken promises and then proposed a loan move back to Ajax in January. Now Babel has made a U-turn and is likely to figure in the Carling Cup clash with Leeds United tonight.

“I didn’t say any of those things,” he said. “I did an interview in Holland and I don’t know who in England got hold of it but it was the worst translation I have ever seen," said Babel in the Echo.

"The fact is I'm very happy here and I don't want to leave to go anywhere."

“Yes, there is a lot of competition for places at Liverpool but that’s the same at every top club.

“It was like that when I was at Ajax and that isn’t a problem for me. I didn’t accuse the manager of anything.

“I heard about what was being reported when I was away with Holland.

“When I got back to Liverpool I went straight to the manager and told him it wasn’t true.

“He accepted that and there is no problem. Now I just want to concentrate on playing.”

Babel helped Liverpool secure their victory over West Ham on Saturday with his pin point cross to Torres, which the striker converted via a remarkable header into the net, and the Dutch international says he was happy to be part of the action.

“It was great to be out there and I’m really pleased I was able to help us get a crucial three points.”

“Before I came on the manager said I needed to bring some energy to the game and that I needed to run at them.

“I enjoyed it and that will give me some confidence. Now I hope to carry on like this.

“If I keep working hard then hopefully I can get some more minutes and in the end get a place back in the starting line-up,” he added in the Guardian.

Benítez is set to announce his squad for Leeds this morning and starts could be given to the likes of Babel, Diego Cavalieri, Andriy Voronin and possibly Daniel Agger, who has not played this season due to a back injury.

No comments:

Post a Comment