Showing posts with label Sebastián Leto. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Sebastián Leto. Show all posts

Wednesday, 1 July 2009

Leto sale gives Rafa extra transfer cash

Liverpool have agreed a deal with Greek side Panathinaikos for the sale of winger Sebastian Leto says the Official Site. The 22-year-old spent last season on loan with Pana's rivals Olympiakos after work permit problems prevented him from playing for Liverpool. The 22-year-old made his competitive debut in a Champions League qualifier against Toulouse on August 28, 2007 - one of four senior games.

The deal has been speculated in the region of £3m and will bring in some much needed cash for Rafa as he tries to tie down other transfer targets.

Thursday, 25 June 2009

Panathinaikos £3m bid for Leto 'accepted'

Rafael Benitez has accepting a £3m bid from Panathinaikos for Sebastian Leto reports today's Echo. The Argentinean says he is “90 percent” certain he will play his football at Panathinaikos next season. The winger spent last season on loan at Greek champions Olympiakos, “but fell out with coach Erneste Valverde” says the article. “There are negotiations between Panathinaikos and Liverpool and as far as I know the two sides are very close to a deal. I think that the possibilities of playing at Panathinaikos next season are more than 90 per cent.”

Monday, 22 June 2009

Leto linked with Panathinaikos

Transfer Speculation

Liverpool winger Sebastian Leto has revealed he is almost certain to move to Greek club Panathinaikos reports Sky News. The 22-year-old spell at Anfield looks to be at an end “after it was discovered he would have little or no chance of gaining a work permit due to his lack of appearances on Merseyside,” says the story. The Argentine joined the Reds in the summer of 2007 but did not to make a Premier League debut due to problems with his passport, forcing him to play in the reserve team instead. Leto was granted an Italian passport in mid-2007 but this was later revoked, making the Argentine need to apply for a work permit; a request which was later refused. Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez criticised the decision given the player's track record in the Champions League and national selection for the Olympics. Leto spent the entire of last season on loan at Greek side Olympiakos.

"I am very close to Panathinaikos," he said. "There are negotiations between Panathinaikos and Liverpool and as far as I know the two sides are very close to a deal. I think that the possibilities to play at Panathinaikos next season right now are more than 90 per cent. I have been waiting for something from Olympiakos all these weeks but they didn't make a move to buy me so far. It's not a matter of money. I wanted to stay at Olympiakos but since they don't want to sign me I have to think about my future."

Wednesday, 27 May 2009

Ryan Babel is told he can leave Anfield

Today’s Daily Post is stating that “Ryan Babel could become the first high-profile casualty of Rafael Benitez’s summer shake-up after being told he can leave Liverpool.”

The article goes on to say: “Babel’s agent Winnie Haatrecht met with the Anfield manager to discuss the player having a more prominent first-team role next season. Benitez, though, was unable to offer such guarantees and has informed the Holland international he may now speak to other clubs during the transfer window. That is likely to spark a chase for Babel, who became the third-most expensive player in Liverpool’s history when arriving for £11.5million from Ajax in July 2007. Liverpool will want to recoup of much as that fee as possible, with Babel likely to command a price tag of around £8m.”

The article adds: “Ajax, who yesterday appointed Martin Jol as new coach to succeed Marco van Basten, are thought eager to re-sign Babel but could be put off by the asking price and the player’s wages. Babel is also certain to attract interest from Italy and Spain, with Benitez open to the possibility of using the 22-year-old as a makeweight to facilitate a possible big-money transfer. Tottenham Hotspur, Aston Villa and Arsenal have all been linked with a summer move for Babel and could make any interest formal.”

Clearly Benitez means business and wants his summer transfer activity completed as quickly as possible. The story states “Babel has scored 14 goals in 91 appearances for Liverpool. However, only 42 have been in a starting role – a mere six coming this calendar year – with the Dutchman having completed the full 90 minutes on just 15 occasions. With Benitez needing to generate funds to supplement his existing transfer budget, the Spaniard is keen to swiftly move on those players who no longer form part of his plans.”

Unfortunately Babel, who initially showed much promise in his first season, has been one of the most disappointing in this campaign. He has appeared lazy and uninterested. One could argue he needed more regular starts, but this hasn’t undeterred other players who where in the same position as him. Yossi Benayoun fought his way into the starting eleven after a disappointing start to the season and finished the campaign in sizzling form, terrorising defences and scoring valuable goals. It is clear that Babel has lost his confidence at Liverpool and a recuperation of his massive fee would probably be best for both parties. One fears however, Babel could recapture his potential at another team and turn into the player we all thought he could become with Liverpool.

Speaking about the ongoing dilemma with Sebastian Leto, the article says: “Benitez also wants to solve the work permit problem for Argentine winger Sebastian Leto, who has spent the last season on loan to Greek club Olympiacos. “We will try to work something out, I do not want him to go,” said the Liverpool manager. The reasons for refusing the permit were his lack of international and club experience. Benitez was critical of that decision, but is likely to sell Leto if the permit is refused once again.”

Tuesday, 26 May 2009

Leto to be let go?

The Independent has today highlighted the on going saga with Argentina-born winger Sebastián Leto, who has spent the last season on loan to Greek club Olympiacos. The story says that “Leto has impressed in Greece and played over 30 games for Olympiacos, despite having disciplinary problems with coach Ernesto Valverde, who has now left the club. Benitez could now sell Leto, or send him out on loan again - although that is now unlikely with the 22-year-old wanting his future cleared up permanently. He signed for Liverpool in August 2007 and figured in pre-season friendlies and early qualifying rounds for the Champions League, but could not make his Premier League debut because of the passport and work permit problems. The reasons for refusing the permit were his lack of international and club experience. Benitez was critical of that decision, and hopes that a season in the Greek league and selection for the Olympics will change the situation. If not Leto will also be sold this summer, with a £3m fee now likely." says the article