Showing posts with label Hillsborough disaster. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Hillsborough disaster. Show all posts

Saturday, 20 June 2009

4,000 supporters 'March4Justice' in London

The Hillsborough 'March4Justice' took place in London today. Five families who lost their loved ones in the Hillsborough disaster handed in a 40,000-signature petition to 10 Downing Street. More than 4,000 supporters marched through the streets of London to demand further investigation into the events of 15 April 1989. The petition was handed in just after 1430 BST.

Barry Thompson, chair of March4Justice which organised the event, speaking to the BBC said: "There were some very emotional scenes, especially when the families gave the boxes of petitions in to 10 Downing Street. We have had so much support from people in Liverpool, the UK and we have also have 480 letters of support from 67 different countries worldwide. Those who lost their loved ones said it was a positive thing handing in papers showing so much support for their plight. We gathered 40,000 signatures in just seven weeks, it has been a mad time. Let's just hope this encourages the government to realise its obligation to the families of the 96, the fans, the club and the city as a whole."

Jenny Hicks, who lost her two daughters in the tragedy, said it was time that "someone took responsibility". The campaign is also insisting over 300 boxes of information about the tragedy be released. Ms Hicks added: "This march helped increase the pressure on the government to take some action. We were shocked and delighted when it was agreed that the documents should be released but we don't want to be waiting for years, we have already had to wait two decades. At the moment it's a waiting game, we just hope this march will have helped make a difference."

The marchers also want any new investigation to recognise that not all the victims had died by 1515 BST on the day of the disaster. It was the cut-off time imposed during the original inquest into the deaths.

The Echo reports that new “Home Secretary Alan Johnson has agreed to meet Merseyside MPs to discuss how and when the Hillsborough files can be released." Earlier this year Jacqui Smith asked South Yorkshire Police to release the 300 boxes of information it holds on the disaster. Alan Johnson said: "it is 'high time' the uncertainties suffered by the families of the victims are brought to an end,” says the story. Cabinet minister Andy Burnham had encouraged the previous Home Secretary Jacqui Smith, to release the documents. She had already “agreed in principle to dropping the 30-year secrecy rule on Home Office and police documents relevant to the Sheffield disaster 20 years ago. Mr Johnson's decision to meet the MPs has allayed fears that the recent ministerial reshuffle would delay or threaten that release,” says the story. “The invitation has been sent to MPs by Halton's Derek Twigg, who has acted as go-between.”

Friday, 29 May 2009

Cohen's Hillsborough lies prompts boycott from US based Liverpool fans

The Official Liverpool Website has published a letter by Conor Brennan (Vice President of LFCNY Supporters' Club) and Alastair Cairns (creator of the boycott Steven Cohen web site)called “A special letter from America”. It goes on to reveal the horrible depths to which London-born Chelsea supporter: Steve Cohen, will sink in order to have his hatred of Liverpool FC heard. Cohen, based in the USA appears on two shows: 'Fox Football Fone-In' on Fox Soccer Channel and 'World Soccer Daily', a podcast also broadcast on Sirius/XM satellite radio. The letter goes on to catalogue the numerous incidents in which Cohen has taken the opportunity to peddle his lies to an unknowing American public. He has constantly blamed Liverpool fans for the deaths at Hillsborough for which he has been forced to apologise numerous times, however he has never once retracted his statements. The letter should be read in full by every Liverpool supporter, but here is a small excerpt:

“There was widespread shock as to the depths Cohen had plumbed in his show on February 22, 2009 where, incensed by fans' desire to change the Champions League game that coincided with the 20th Hillsborough Memorial, he mocked Liverpool 'milking' the Hillsborough tragedy. Cohen went on to say: "They are not the victims [of Hillsborough], they are the perpetrators... they are the most despicable people." Cohen told his audience that the Hillsborough Justice Campaign 'couldn't be more corrupt or blatantly ridiculous' and finally remarked that these Liverpool fans were 'the scum of the earth'. Cohen was forced to issue yet another one of his infamous apologies, or as he put it 'putting this crap to bed'. Much like the apology three years ago, there was no mention of the 96 dead, their families, or Hillsborough, nor was there any retraction of his unsubstantiated lies about the cause of the disaster. In fact, within the week he reiterated a somewhat more muted: "I still think there's shared responsibility." Immediately following his 'apology', Cohen spoke about the campaign against him. Liverpool fans were denounced as 'thugs', 'terrorists' and 'worse than the Taliban'.”

The “Boycott Steven Cohen web site” contains a list ways to help get Cohen off the air, and can be fund here:

http://boycottstevencohen.webs.com/

It urges people to “remain respectful and dignified” in any correspondence to the shows sponsors and associates because “Cohen has already demonstrated his willingness to quote the ugly minority in his attempts to discredit this campaign, and he'd like nothing better than to hear word of any inappropriate correspondence to his sponsors.”

The full letter can be read here:


Thursday, 21 May 2009

Liverpool FC condemn Cohen’s radio lies

Liverpool Football Club have released a statement responding to comments made by the London-born, US-based Radio presenter Steve Cohen. The DJ has continuously claimed Liverpool fans were partly responsible for the 1989 Hillsborough disaster, and last month reiterated the claim on his radio show. Speaking two days before the 20th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster he said: “showing up without tickets, hellbent on getting into somewhere they shouldn’t be going because they don’t have tickets” was the “root cause” of the tragedy. Cohen has since offered a half hearted apology for his comments, but he still did not retract his claim.

Liverpool FC’s official statement reads: "Liverpool Football Club totally condemns the comments regarding the Hillsborough disaster made by the radio and TV broadcaster Steve Cohen.

"Mr Cohen has obviously never taken the time to read the Taylor Report which stated clearly that ticketless fans were not a contributory factor or responsible for the events of that day.

"To use the 20th anniversary of the disaster to repeat false claims about Liverpool fans (which Mr Cohen first broadcast and then apologised for in 2006) is even more unacceptable."

Wednesday, 20 May 2009

Steven Cohen apologises for Hillsborough comments but doesn't retract his claims

American shock jock DJ Steven Cohen has apologised for comments he made last month after he suggested fans were partly responsible for the 1989 Hillsborough disaster, say’s today’s Echo. Boy hood Chelsea supporter Cohen, made the comments two days before the 20th anniversary on his radio show, World Soccer Daily, which is broadcast on satellite radio and on the internet. The article goes on to say:

His claims provoked outrage amongst Liverpool supporters both in the UK and USA and advertisers. Four high-profile sponsors have already pulled out and it is understood satellite station Setanta are considering not renewing their contract when it expires.

Cohen finally made that apology this week, more than a month after his comment that people “showing up without tickets, hellbent on getting into somewhere they shouldn’t be going because they don’t have tickets” was the “root cause” of the tragedy.

He said: “My apology is directed at any and all people whose feelings have been hurt and people who have had awful memories and scars re-opened.
“The apology is heartfelt, genuine and sincere.”

He added: “I believe in the freedom of speech, opinion and expression and hold these values and freedoms as being among the most treasured of all freedoms. I recognise that with my position as one of the hosts of a popular radio show, I have a responsibility to my audience and perhaps the radio is not the ideal place to express every opinion and every belief I have if the net result is many people being hurt and upset.”

The full "apology" can be read here:


Clearly this statement is no more then a token gesture intended to preserving his job and gratifying the sponsor’s and advertisers that essentially pay his wage. He has frequently made irresponsible and ill informed remarks regarding the Hillsborough disaster. At no point in his so called apology does this un-educated DJ actually retract his claims. An apology means nothing unless you actually believe in the words you say.

If you would like to complain further, his contact details can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1120031@N22/