Showing posts with label Michael Shields. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Michael Shields. Show all posts

Thursday, 10 September 2009

Gerrard admits his England performance was inspired by Michael Shields

Steven Gerrard has admitted that the news of Michael Shields release inspired his England performance last night. The Reds skipper scored twice in England's 5-1 victory over Croatia at Wembley stadium, booking their place at next summer’s World Cup finals.

The Liverpool captain who returned to Melwood today to start preparations for Saturday’s clash with Burnley said:

“It’s fantastic news both for Michael and his family,” said Gerrard in the Echo.

“I’m really pleased for all of them. It was a good day for me, scoring two goals and qualifying for the World Cup having switched on the television earlier in the day and seeing the news about Michael. It gave me a real boost."

Michael Shields and his family have been invited by the Reds to be guests at Saturday’s game against Burnley. Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez speaking ahead of the match said:

"I think everyone here at Liverpool is really pleased. It was a situation that for a long time we were trying to change.

"The players, the club and the people of Merseyside were pushing, so everyone is really pleased.

"we've had contact before and we will have contact in the future because we were supporting them from the first day.

Asked about if Shield will attend Saturdays game, Benitez said:

"I think that we are trying to do something, but we will see. You cant push him too much, so the main thing now is 'how he feels' and if he wants to come, clearly we would be really pleased."

Wednesday, 9 September 2009

Justice served as Liverpool fan Michael Shields is released

Michael Shields has been released from prison following a pardon from Justice Secretary Jack Straw. The Reds fan was sentenced to 15 years by Bulgarian authorities following an attack on a barman after Liverpool FC's European Cup victory in Turkey in 2005. He was later transferred to a prison in the UK.

Shields has always maintained his innocence and his incarceration had always been viewed as a gross miscarriage of justice.

Another Liverpool resident, Graham Sankey admitted to committing the crime and signed a written confession, which he later withdrew.

In his statement, the Justice Secretary said:

"I was told in the course of the visit that the man made an oral confession in front of several other people. This episode, I was told, happened on 22 July 2005, a day after the start of Mr Shields' trial in Bulgaria," reports the Telegraph.

"I will not set out in this statement all the evidence that has come to light over the last two weeks but suffice it to say that there is very good reason to believe I was being told the truth.

"This in my view profoundly changed the credibility of the various accounts of what actually happened in this case. I have concluded, having looked carefully at all the evidence now available, that Michael Shields is telling the truth when he says he is innocent of the attempted murder of which he was convicted in Bulgaria.

"That being so I have recommended to Her Majesty the Queen that he should be granted a free pardon. Mr Shields is being released from prison today and will return home to his family a free man."

In December 2008 two high court judges ruled that it was within the justice secretary's power to pardon Michael Shields – but Straw refused to do so in July.

Following his release, Shields who was wearing a black t-shirt with a small red LFC liverbird embroidered on it, said:

"I would like to say a massive thank-you to all the people out there, including Liverpool and Everton fans, in support of me and my family over the last four years by writing letters, protesting and marching," reports the official site.

The Reds fan added: "Your voices were heard. Thanks to you, I knew I'd never walk alone.

"My family have stood by me every step of the way. I would not have made it without them.

"I also want to extend my sympathy to the victim of the unprovoked attack in Bulgaria."

Shields' solicitor John Wheate said the Liverpool fan was "absolutely ecstatic" when he was given the news. His parents had been told of the decision in a telephone call with Mr Straw on Wednesday morning.

Mr Wheate said: "I can confirm he has been pardoned and will be released today. His parents spoke to Jack Straw earlier this morning and I have spoken to Michael myself.

"At first he couldn't believe it after all these years and knock backs. But now he is absolutely ecstatic and so are his family."

A statement read by the Bishop of Liverpool, James Jones, on Michael's behalf read:

"The last four years have been a living hell. Today is the first day of the rest of my life. It's a hard thing to be locked away for a crime you did not commit.

"I was just 18 when I was arrested. I'm now 22 and face having to rebuild a life shattered by the failure of two legal systems: one here in the UK and one in Bulgaria.

"Today is a happy day for me but one of mixed emotion too. I am a free man, yes, but it should not have come to this.

"I face a hard battle to adjust to normality, to find a job, resume friendships and to build an ordinary life.

"I would like to extend my sympathy to the family of Martin Georgiev, who was the innocent victim of an unprovoked attack. He and his family, like me and mine, have been denied justice for four long years."

Liverpool football club expressed delight at the decision saying:

"It's great news that Michael has been granted a pardon by the Justice Secretary Jack Straw.

"We know how difficult the last four years have been for Michael and his family and everyone at the club, the staff, the players and the fans have tried to support them during this time.

"We hope now that Michael and his family will be able to move on with their lives and look to the future."

Thursday, 2 July 2009

Michael Shields denied pardon by Justice Secretary Jack Straw

Michael Shields will not be freed from jail early after he was refused a Royal Pardon today reports the Echo. Justice Secretary Jack Straw announced the Liverpool fan will not be pardoned after studying the results of a Merseyside police inquiry into his case.

Michael was believed to be devastated when he was informed of the news in his cell at Thorn cross prison in Warrington. The news means that the 22-year -old will not be released until his sentence is completed in May 2010, unless further evidence is submitted which proves the Engineering student’s innocence.

He was arrested with several others by local police on 30 May 2005 after barman Martin Georgiev was hit on the head with a paving slab, suffering a fractured skull. Shields was staying in Bulgaria after watching Liverpool win the Champions League final in Istanbul. He was sentenced to 15 years for attempted murder. The student was later transferred to the UK in 2006 to complete his sentence, which was reduced on appeal to 10 years.

The justice minister insisted the evidence presented by campaigners a Merseyside police inquiry is not enough to prove Michael is “morally and technically innocent”, which, he adds, “is a very high test”.

City Labour leader Joe Anderson, who has led the campaign to free Michael, said:

“This is outrageous. How Jack Straw can even use the word justice in his cabinet title is scandalous. He is not fit to be called the justice minister. The decision is an insult to everyone who believes in justice and the rights of the individual. The Government are officially keeping an innocent man in orison. It’s an absolute disgrace.”

The statement says:
“Following a detailed and careful consideration of all the relevant evidence the Justice Secretary, Jack Straw, has made a provisional decision that the application for a free pardon from Mr Michael Shields should be refused. The Ministry of Justice has written to Mr Shields today to convey this decision. The letter to Mr Shields provides a full explanation of the reasons for the Justice Secretary’s provisional decision. Mr Straw has made his decision in accordance with the High Court judgement of 17 December 2008 which indicated that, in order to grant a free pardon, he would have to be satisfied that Mr Shields was morally and technically innocent. The judgement stated: In principle… the grant of a free pardon would appear to require a conclusion that, taking the Bulgarian courts’ judgement for what it is and without calling in question its correctness on the material which those courts considered, fresh evidence which the Bulgarian courts did not consider, taken with the material which they did consider and their judgement upon it justifies a conclusion that Michael Shields is morally and technically innocent. This is a very high test and the Justice Secretary has provisionally concluded that on the evidence he currently has that test is not met. The Justice Secretary recognises, of course, that many will be disappointed by his decision. But in exercising this quasi-judicial function he has adopted the approach that the Court expected him to adopt. Mr Shields can now submit any further representations he may want to make, after which the Justice Secretary will make a final decision on the evidence before him.”

Shields' solicitor Jon Wheate speaking to the BBC said: "We believe the evidence is overwhelming and any right-minded person will look at it and see that. It is Michael Shields we should all be feeling for."

Mr Wheate said he was only made aware that the pardon had been refused in a call from his client.

Shields' father, also Michael said: "We are absolutely devastated. I have spoken to Michael and he is absolutely distraught. I don't know how much more we can take as a family. One minute we are expecting him to be pardoned and released then the next minute all our hopes are dashed. All I can say is that Michael, his family and all the campaigners are absolutely heartbroken."

Michael snr also spoke to the Telegraph saying"After four years of tireless campaigning, we had every hope and belief that Michael was about to be pardoned for a crime he did not commit. We have been led a merry dance by the government. We have been kept completely in the dark and still have no idea what is happening."

Mr Shields's mother, Marie, said the news was "like a knife in the back".

Family solicitor, John Wheate, vowed to fight on.

He said: "There is no way in the British judicial system this would have even got into court. If we've got a further 28 days to make representations then we will definitely do that. I have been in this line of work for 37 years and this lad is as innocent as you and me."