Showing posts with label Raul Albiol. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Raul Albiol. Show all posts

Saturday, 20 June 2009

Transfer Speculation: Mascherano, Alonso, Reina, Tevez, Silva, Albiol, Distin, Owen, Dossena

Javier Mascherano
The Mail claims the Argentinian midfielder is set to leave Liverpool, with Barcelona preparing a £35million bid. The Argentine, 25, has told boss Rafael Benitez he needs to leave because his wife, Fernanda, is reluctant to return to England. The article says Masherano’s wife is pregnant and “has returned to South America with their daughter Iola and does not want to fly back. Benitez is understanding but still wants at least £35m for his midfield enforcer. Mascherano's agent, Walter Tamer, held talks on Wednesday with Barca general manager Raul Sanlehy and sporting director Txiki Begiristain, who will offer around £20m plus possibly striker Bojan Krkic.”

Xabi Alonso
A number of papers are reporting that Xabi Alonso has cast further doubt on is Liverpool future because of the answer he gave to a Spanish Radio station. The Guardian reports: “Asked by the Cadena Ser radio station if he would be disappointed having to stay at Liverpool next season, he responded: "I can't answer that question." To which the interviewer replied: "And with that you have said it all." The Telegraph is also running the same interview, but reveals more of Alonso’s answer: “But each player thinks about their own future. It's clear that on the outside there are reports about your future, but you cannot do much and the only thing you can do is train normally."

Jamie Carragher speaking in an interview on Sky Sports has this to say on the subject: "This summer there has been a bit of speculation about players moving on, so at the moment I'm hoping that doesn't happen rather than people come in. We have got a great side at the moment, and I'm sure the manager will make a couple of additions, but we don't want to lose anyone." Speaking of Alonso, Carragher said: "He and Stevie Gerrard were probably our best two players last season. I think Stevie won Footballer of the Year, but if you asked the fans I think they would maybe say that Alonso was our best player last season so he is certainly someone we don't want to lose."

Pepe Reina
The Reds keeper has been the subject of speculation linking him with a move to Barcelona, because current keeper Victor Valdes had not signed a new contract with the club. However the Mail says: “Victor Valdes has ended speculation linking him to Manchester United by signing a new contract at European champions Barcelona. The extention to 2014 is also likely to be met with relief at Liverpool, whose Spanish goalkeeper Pepe Reina had been lined up as a replacement for the Nou Camp No 1.”

Carlos Tevez
The Argentinian has today ruled himself out of a move to Liverpool Football Club. Sky Sports News sources have been informed that a move to Anfield is not an option for Tevez. Interestingly, the player has not ruled himself out of a move to arch rivals and ‘swimming -in-loot’ club Manchester City. However this is probably more of an over site by the considerate young player who clearly wouldn’t upset any United fans with a move to Eastlands.

David Silva and Raul Albiol
Today’s Mirror says of the upcoming move of Glen Jonson will be the first edition to his summer transfer activity, but it wont be his last. Speaking of Benitez the story says: “He wants a wide player and has been chasing Valencia winger David Silva for some time, while he is also in talks over the Spanish club's centrehalf Raul Albiol, with the pair valued at a combined £30m.”

Sylvain Distin
The Mail declares that Liverpool have launched a bid for Sylvain Distin: “The 31-year-old French defender is in demand. Liverpool have already placed a £2million bid and Aston Villa have also expressed an interest. Sunderland, keen to bolster their leaky defence, want him too but Steve Bruce is likely to be disappointed. Distin is keen on Liverpool but he may only be a squad player there and will be keen to hear Martin O'Neill's plans.”

Michael Owen
Fernando Torres has spoken about Michael Owen, who is available on a free transfer and has recently sent out a brochure to Premiership, Italian and Spanish clubs promoting his services. Torres said: "I know that he is a big part of the history of this football club and that the fans at Anfield loved him," said Torres in the Daily Mail. "I have no idea where he will be playing next season, but I am convinced that he still has a lot to offer. He has been unlucky with injuries in recent years and I know how frustrating that can be, but he has a natural instinct in front of goal and you don't lose that just because you have been injured."

Andrea Dossena
The Telegraph reports that Juventus are considering both Dossena and international team-mate Fabio Grosso, 31, to fill the left-back spot. "I don't know if you can call it an ultimatum, but I think that Juve will decide what to do within the next week," agent Roberto La Florio told Calciomercato.it. "The left-back position is a necessity for the Bianconeri and the directors are not willing to drag this on. However, I still think it's a two-horse race between Andrea and Grosso. Dossena's age and wages are on his side. Is he worth around 6-7million euros? The last time I met with Liverpool we did not talk about numbers, I can only say they paid more for him last summer. Andrea has subtly expressed his desire to join Juve in recent days, but he also said that he loves it in Liverpool. We'll definitely know more about it next week and Juve remain the most likely destination for him."

Wednesday, 20 May 2009

Rafa’s summer shopping list

Transfer Speculation

The Mirror has given a detailed description of how they see Rafa spending his summer transfer money. The article says:

The Liverpool manager will again be given sizeable funds this summer to make new signings, with more than £25million earmarked by the club's American owners. But Benitez knows he needs to take the final step to title glory, especially given the buys United will inevitably make this summer. So the additional funds will have to come from selling some of his current squad, with the likes of Ryan Babel, Andrea Dossena and possibly even Xabi Alonso sacrificed. That will give him almost £50million to spend, but he believes that will still mean him having to be perfect in his dealings. This time he would love to sign Valencia's tricky winger David Silva along with his colleague and Spanish centre half Raul Albiol, who between them would cost the best part of £30m.

The article additionally states "Benitez is also committed to the purchase of Gareth Barry, who he is hoping to land for £10m, and is keen on bringing Portsmouth's Glen Johnson to Anfield for a similar fee. That would be his kitty completely gone, yet Benitez would love the chance to take a swipe at Ferguson by also bidding to make Carlos Tevez the first player to move between Anfield and Old Trafford in more than 40 years."

Another Mirror article speculates that a devastated “Stewart Downing could miss out on his dream £12million switch to Liverpool or Spurs after suffering a broken foot. The England winger will have an operation on Friday to repair the break, sustained against Aston Villa last Saturday, that will keep him out until August at least and with little time to get fit ahead of a big-money transfer.”

Also in the Mirror is a piece claiming “Aston Villa are offering Gareth Barry a huge new deal in a final attempt to keep him out of Liverpool's clutches. Villa boss Martin O'Neill is willing to sanction England midfielder Barry, 28, getting a whopping £65,000-a-week to stay. The star has one year left on his contract at Villa Park and had been widely expected to move to Liverpool this summer. But O'Neill hopes the proposed new deal, plus the lure of regular first team football, the captaincy and offer of a testimonial, will tempt Barry to stay.”