Showing posts with label Javi Martinez. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Javi Martinez. Show all posts

Friday, 29 May 2009

Reds not bid for Martinez

“Athletic Bilbao insist they have received no approach from Liverpool for Javi Martinez” reports Sky Sports News. There has been plently of speculation surrounding the 20-year-old midfielder recently, with varying reports valuing him between £10–£18 million. "We know there is interest from some clubs in Javi Martinez, and that Liverpool have sent scouts to matches, but the club has received no bids," said a spokesman for the Basque club. "We have no intention of selling him, but it is normal that we will study any offers that are made."

Martinez, has admitted that he would welcome the prospect of a switch to Anfield reports the article: "The rumours are not affecting me. I am very calm," he said.
"If an offer is received, then I will speak with the club. Liverpool are a great club with a great history and any player would like to be in their squad."

Thursday, 28 May 2009

Martinez transfer rumours resurface

Transfer Speculation

Today's Mirror is claiming: “Rafa Benitez has lined up Athletic Bilbao midfielder Javi Martinez as a long-term replacement for Xabi Alonso.” Last week The Star reported the same story and can be read in my blog here. The speculative story goes on to say: “Martinez is regarded as one of the best prospects in Spain. And Bilbao, who have the 20-year-old under contract until 2012, want around £10m. But Liverpool boss Benitez wants to thrash out a cut-price deal.”

The £10m price tag is vastly different from last weeks Daily Star article in which it stated that the player had an “£18 million buy-out clause in his contract.” which Benitez was unwilling to mach.

However the Mirror article says in a '10 things you need to know' profile about the player, that when "Liverpool were linked with Martinez in 2007, it was reported he had a £17.1million release clause in his contract – with the way sterling has weakened against the euro, the Reds’ owners will be hoping that price tag has come down."

Wednesday, 20 May 2009

Alonso out – Martinez in

Transfer Speculation
Once again tabloid rumours about Xabi Alonso rear their ugly head and I get the impression that they won’t die down despite numerous quotes from Benitez, Alonso & his agent to the contrary. Yesterdays Star is running the story that Alonso could go to Real Madrid in a deal worth £21 million if Florentino Perez returns as club president. The article goes on to state that “Sources in Spain claim Alonso’s agent has been sounded out over a summer switch to the Bernabeu. Champions League finalists Barcelona have also shown an interest in him, along with Arsenal. But Perez’s camp claim they will make Liverpool an offer they cannot refuse to bring Alonso, 27, home, if he wins the election in mid June. Alonso still has three years left on his contract but his agent Inaki Ibanez said: “Many things could happen in the summer. The first is to finish the season and after that to attend to other matters. Xabi has signed for three more years and his future depends on Liverpool.”

Reds boss Rafa Benitez has already sounded out a potential replacement in 20 year old Athletic Bilbao whizzkid Javi Martinez. Although, the article states that Benitez is unwilling to mach the £18 million buy-out clause in his contract.