Showing posts with label Fabio Aurelio. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Fabio Aurelio. Show all posts

Thursday, 1 October 2009

Aurelio says Benitez raged at half time in Fiorentina

Fabio Aurelio has admitted that manager Rafael Benitez's mood in the dressing room at half time during the Fiorentina game was the most annoyed the player has ever seen the coach. Aurelio is well placed to assess Benitez's temper having served under him a Valencia before joining him at the Reds.

“That was the most annoyed we have seen the manager but we all were,” said Aurelio in the Telegraph.

“We all felt like that after the first half and that’s why you saw a better performance in the second.

“But we didn’t need harsh words at half-time – we all knew that we were not playing well and that we had to be much better.

“In the second we were a different side and if it had been like that from the start it could have been a different result.”

“In football you always have a chance to put it right and turn things to your favour and ours comes at Chelsea on Sunday.”

“It’s a good opportunity for us to get over the disappointment of losing to Fiorentina.

“It is a very important game in the Premier League, against a very strong side, and we have to recover from this result straight away and have the confidence we can do a good job again.

“We have to fight really hard to take the points.

“It’s important to get something against the top sides. We are scoring more goals at the moment but you must keep improving if you want to win trophies.”

Friday, 11 September 2009

Benitez faces left-back dilemma

Rafael Benitez faces a selection dilemma at left-back ahead of Liverpool's Premiership meeting with Burnley. Emiliano Insua has made the position his own in the opening four matches but Fabio Aurelio is pressing for a recall after recovering from injury

The 29-year-old has faced a fitness race this week and Reds boss Rafael Benitez welcomes his return:

"Fabio is a player with quality" said Benitez in the Echo.

"His delivery into the box, especially when we play at home, is excellent. He provides good passes and crosses which is really important.

"He has no match fitness but he is much better and he hasn't been away with his country so he has been training hard. Fabio knows exactly what we expect from him."

"We have really good competition now on the left with Insua, Aurelio and Dossena.

"That means a headache for me but that's good. It’s up to me to pick the right player."

Albert Riera and Ryan Babel are both fighting for the left wing role and both have complained at their lack of first team action. Babel has even declared he wishes a loan move to Ajax in January but Benitez has dismissed talk of the winger leaving Anfield.

"I've already talked with Riera and that's not a problem and I will talk with Ryan and analyse the situation with him," he said.

"What is clear is that if they want to play then they have to compete.

"Ryan has to perform for us. He has to be ready for this game or the next one because we have a lot of games before January.

"I’m not thinking about the possibility of him going out on loan. I’m just thinking about getting the best out of him."

Wednesday, 9 September 2009

Aurelio set for comeback against Burnley

Liverpool full-back Fabio Aurelio is set to make his return from injury this Saturday when the Reds take on Burnley at Anfield. The Brazilean who suffered a knee injury whilst playing with his children during the summer, has spent the last few weeks recovering from a cartilage operation. Aurelio aims to prove his fitness by playing in a practice match tomorrow.

"I am feeling good and working hard to try and get back into the squad for Saturday," said Aurelio in the Independent.

"The international break came at a good time for me because I have been able to work hard and not miss too many more games. I'm playing in a practice game on Thursday and I hope to prove my fitness and be involved against Burnley.

"I have been training for three weeks now and I can't wait to get back."

Aurelio added: "The injury could not have come at a worse time. I was with my brother-in-law and some friends playing football and joking around and suddenly I felt something strange in my knee.

"I called my old team Sao Paulo and they examined the knee and found there was a cartilage injury.

"I then phoned Liverpool and got permission to get the knee operated on. It was my holiday and I spent the rest of the time recovering.

"The good thing is it feels fine now, I am now back and hoping to help the team. I played in a practice game last week and I felt good."

Argentinian youngster Emiliano Insua has played in the position so far this season, and Aurelio knows he faces tough competition for a place in the team.

He said: "He is playing really well and he was also good last season so he has a lot of confidence.

"Seeing how well he is doing is not a surprise to me or my team-mates, working with him every day you can see he is a player with quality and can do a very good job for the team.

"We have three left-backs with Emiliano, myself and Andrea Dossena so we all have to keep working hard and make it a difficult decision for the manager."

Tuesday, 1 September 2009

Aurelio set for return against Burnley

Fabio Aurelio is set to make his first Premiership start this season after recovering from a knee injury picked up over the summer. The Brazilian has not take part in the Reds campaign so far, but Benitez is hoping he will have made a complete recovery by the time Burnley come to Anfield on September 12.

"Fabio is back training and playing football," said the Liverpool boss to the official site.

"After the end of the international break I don't think he will have any problems and he will be able to be involved in normal training sessions and be in the squad.

There was also encouraging news about other players on the injury list:

"Daniel Agger is walking again after his back operation and Nabil El Zhar's knee injury is also improving, so that's very positive," said Benitez.

Thursday, 9 July 2009

Benitez is hopeful Aurelio will be fit for the start of season

Rafael Benitez has confirmed to the Telegraph that Fabio Aurelio will be out for a maximum of two months. Speculation in the press had suggested Aurelio could have been sidelined until Christmas. "One, maybe two months, I expect him back by then. Certainly not six."

The Brazilian defender sustained a knee injury over the summer whilst playing with his children, but Rafa is hopeful of having the left-back available within a month.

Saturday, 27 June 2009

Transfer Speculation: Alonso, Aurelio, Dossena

Xabi Alonso
Today's Times claims that Liverpool have placed a £35 million valuation on Xabi Alonso, “after the Spain midfield player said his goodbyes to some members of the club's staff.” The story goes on to say: “Real Madrid, with whom the player has been linked, have not yet made an official offer,” and “there is a growing acceptance at Anfield that the player is likely to move to Real.” The story also says “Alonso's relationship with Rafael Benítez has been troubled since the Liverpool manager began his pursuit of Gareth Barry last year.” This claim by the Times ignores the interview he gave to Spanish newspaper ‘El Pais’ last weekend in which the player said” I am happy at Liverpool” called Liverpool, “a special club” and talking about Rafa, he said "We have a good professional relationship. We speak normally.” No English newspaper has published the interview.

Fabio Aurelio
looks set to miss the start of the season for Liverpool after damaging his knee playing football with his children, says today’s Express. The article claims The Brazilian left-back is “facing the prospect of surgery and several months on the sidelines”. Aurelio is understood to have twisted a knee playing with son, Fabio jnr, and daughter Victoria. Aurelio has one year left on his current contract and his time at Anfield has been scarred by a succession of injury problems. The injury could impact the proposed move of Andrea Dossena, who may now be required stay at Liverpool.

Andrea Dossena
The defenders agent Roberto La Florio told Italian newspaper ‘Corriere dello Sport’: "For the time being, I have not met (Juventus sporting director) Alessio Secco and I don't have an appointment set up with him in the near future. At this time I don't know if Dossena will join Juventus. We can only wait, we are not in a hurry. In any case the lad (Dossena) is also happy at Liverpool."