Showing posts with label Hillsborough petition. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Hillsborough petition. Show all posts

Saturday, 20 June 2009

4,000 supporters 'March4Justice' in London

The Hillsborough 'March4Justice' took place in London today. Five families who lost their loved ones in the Hillsborough disaster handed in a 40,000-signature petition to 10 Downing Street. More than 4,000 supporters marched through the streets of London to demand further investigation into the events of 15 April 1989. The petition was handed in just after 1430 BST.

Barry Thompson, chair of March4Justice which organised the event, speaking to the BBC said: "There were some very emotional scenes, especially when the families gave the boxes of petitions in to 10 Downing Street. We have had so much support from people in Liverpool, the UK and we have also have 480 letters of support from 67 different countries worldwide. Those who lost their loved ones said it was a positive thing handing in papers showing so much support for their plight. We gathered 40,000 signatures in just seven weeks, it has been a mad time. Let's just hope this encourages the government to realise its obligation to the families of the 96, the fans, the club and the city as a whole."

Jenny Hicks, who lost her two daughters in the tragedy, said it was time that "someone took responsibility". The campaign is also insisting over 300 boxes of information about the tragedy be released. Ms Hicks added: "This march helped increase the pressure on the government to take some action. We were shocked and delighted when it was agreed that the documents should be released but we don't want to be waiting for years, we have already had to wait two decades. At the moment it's a waiting game, we just hope this march will have helped make a difference."

The marchers also want any new investigation to recognise that not all the victims had died by 1515 BST on the day of the disaster. It was the cut-off time imposed during the original inquest into the deaths.

The Echo reports that new “Home Secretary Alan Johnson has agreed to meet Merseyside MPs to discuss how and when the Hillsborough files can be released." Earlier this year Jacqui Smith asked South Yorkshire Police to release the 300 boxes of information it holds on the disaster. Alan Johnson said: "it is 'high time' the uncertainties suffered by the families of the victims are brought to an end,” says the story. Cabinet minister Andy Burnham had encouraged the previous Home Secretary Jacqui Smith, to release the documents. She had already “agreed in principle to dropping the 30-year secrecy rule on Home Office and police documents relevant to the Sheffield disaster 20 years ago. Mr Johnson's decision to meet the MPs has allayed fears that the recent ministerial reshuffle would delay or threaten that release,” says the story. “The invitation has been sent to MPs by Halton's Derek Twigg, who has acted as go-between.”

Saturday, 16 May 2009

Play your part. Support the campaign for 'Justice'

Tony Barrett has written a well observed piece on the continued fight for justice for the victims of the Hillsborough disaster in today’s Liverpool Echo. It highlights that there is no shortage of politicians eager to back the Justice campaign. In the current climate of political corruption it’s easy to question the motives of these political figures, but the article goes on to state that opportunity should not be missed. Barrett goes on to say” for the first time since the tragedy there is a genuine chance that public pressure could result in the truth of what happened on April 15, 1989, finally being known. As such, all support should be welcomed because the more people who let the government know that they will not rest until justice is done the more chance there is of it actually happening.”

Following on from Thursday nights Hillsborough memorial game were more then 20,000 supporters chanted “justice for the 96” as Liverpool Legends took on a team of celebrities there is probably no better time to seize the opportunity. Public opinion has drastically changed in 20 years and the ground swell of support is definitely in favour of truth and justice to finally be recognised.

And it is vastly important to add your voice. An online petition calling on the government to further investigate what happened at Hillsborough has been set up and it has already collected nearly 11,000 signatures.

The website address is http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/lfcdisaster/ and it only takes a few seconds to go online and add your name.

Similarly, Liverpool fan Helen Boyle has collected the names of 78,000 people who are willing to join a proposed march for justice on June 20.

By adding your name at http://www.m4j.co.uk/ you could play your part in turning the demand for justice into a command.